Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Dementia: Coping with the Change


This is a beautiful film. Nic Askew and his Soul Biographies blow me away time and time again. "A Life Beyond" is so relevant to the changes we are coping with today. I may even say it showcases humanity at its finest. It is short, 7 minutes, and well worth your time. Click, watch, and listen. Be prepared for a transforming perspective.

I speak to this concept quite often, to families, therapists, nurses, any caregiver. A change of outlook can make everything we do when caring for someone with dementia much different, less burdensome, more joyful, and the shift happens not just for us but also for the person we love who has this horrible disease.

One of my favorite phrases about the work I do is "my patients give me so much more than I could ever give them". So true when the viewpoint is one of an exchange with this person you hold dear and not just the load of care-taking. This is a valuable angle that should be shared.

Thank you to Soul Biographies and Nic Askew for such meaningful films.

No comments:

Post a Comment